Back to Resources Page
Links to More Information on Assistive Technology
- ADA - link to the Americans with Disabilities Act Home Page
- ABLEDATA - the National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research - U.S. Department of Education
- Community-Based Alternatives/Promoting Community Integration - As a part of his New Freedom Initiative, the President issued Executive Order 13217, "Community-Based Alternatives for Individuals with Disabilities." The Order calls upon the federal government to assist states and localities to swiftly implement the decision of the United States Supreme Court in Olmstead v. L.C., stating: "The United States is committed to community-based alternatives for individuals with disabilities and recognizes that such services advance the best interests of the United States."
- Job Accommodation Network - provides information about job accommodations and the employability of people with disabilities.
- National Council on Disability - The National Council on Disability (NCD) is an independent federal agency making recommendations to the President and Congress on issues affecting 54 million Americans with disabilities.
- WorkSupport.Com is funded in part by the National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research (NIDRR), Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services (OSERS), U.S. Department of Education, Washington, D.C.
top of page
State Agency Programs
top of page
- AbleProject.org is a non-profit organization focused on helping people with disabilities. Our mission is to help people with disability, and people with disabled love ones to find mobility and assistive devices faster, easier, and at competitive price.
- Access North - a virtual Center for Independent Living for Northeastern Minnesota.
- Alliance for Technology Access - a network of community-based resource centers.
- American Printing House for the Blind - provides materials, alternative media, tools, and resources for individuals who are blind or visually impaired.
- Amputee Coalition of America (ACA) features information about the Amputee Coalition of America, access to the National Limb Loss Information Center, the ACA National Peer Network, and a growing collection of sites concerned with Limb Loss Research and Statistics.
- assistivetech.net is a resource for assistive technology (AT) and a link to a wide variety of AT and disability-related information. The searchable database of AT is designed to help you target solutions, determine costs and link to vendors that sell products. Our target audiences include people with disabilities, family members, service providers, educators and employers.
- Council of Exceptional Children - organization devoted to all areas of special education
- Family Village - We are a global community that integrates information, resources, and communication opportunities on the Internet for persons with cognitive and other disabilities, for their families and for those that provide them services and support.
- Habitat for Humanity of Minnesota, Inc. (HFH-MN) is a support organization created under the umbrella of Habitat for Humanity International. It was created by the affiliates in Minnesota, and is accountable to those affiliates. As a support organization, HFH-MN was created to identify and serve the needs of Habitat affiliates in the state of Minnesota as they pursue the creation of decent, safe, affordable housing for those in need. Click on Local Affliates link for the Habitat for Humanity organization in your area.
- Lighthouse International and the Chicago Lighthouse fighting vision loss through prevention, treatment and empowerment.
- PACER Center - strives to improve and expand opportunities that enhance the quality of life for children and young adults with disabilities and their families, and Information and Referral Services.
top of page
- Access Press - A monthly publication designed to inform the disability community about topics of concern, and to provide accurate information about disability issues to the general public.
- Closing the Gap - focuses on computer technology for people with special needs.
- Disabled Dealer - Buy, sell or trade accessible vans, wheelchairs, scooters, homes, and more.
top of page
- Disabled Sportsperson Information - is a resource to help disabled persons access the outdoors.
- Family Center on Technology and Disability - The Center serves organizations and programs that work with families of children and youth with disabilities. We offer a range of information and services on the subject of assistive technology (AT). Whether you're an organization, a parent, an educator, or an interested friend, we hope you'll find information that supports you in your efforts to bring the highest quality education to children with disabilities.
- MinnesotaHelp.info - is a comprehensive database of local community resources for consumers, caregivers and service providers. You can search for resources: by zip, city and state; by topic; by keyword; or by provider name.
top of page